Thursday, June 19, 2014

Vintage Quilt Thursday:Tree of Life Block Tutorial: Part 1


Welcome to Vintage Quilt Thursday. (edit, for some reason this didn't actually post and I just noticed this morning. Grrr. Sorry)

First, it almost isn't Thursday anymore. We are having some yuckiness move through our clan and today was a rest day for some of us.

Second, I can hear you thinking...but this isn't a vintage quilt.

True. I was so inspired by this previous Vintage Quilt that I wanted to remake it. I had to put my own spin on it.

I had to break this tutorial up in to 2 parts (see family yuckiness above) and I will share the copy cat I made that looks like the original at the end of that.

 I puttered about my fire hazard of a sewing room and pulled fabric from my scrap stash. Yup, that looks like my style.


You can make this super scrappy like my block or you can stick with a two color block.

You will need per block:

7- 3 3/8" colored squares
7- 3 3/8" background squares
2- 3" background squares
1- 8 3/8" background square
1- 8 3/8" colored square (basket)
1- 1.75"X12" colored rectangle (basket handle)
1-5" colored square (basket bottom_

(not in the picture below are the 2-3" background squares)


 Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the back of your 3 3/8" background squares 


Layer a colored square and a background square, right sides together. Sew down either side of the drawn line with a 1/4" seam. Cut down the drawn line.


Open those lovelies up and press open. Trim up and nip off the dog ears.

Your 14 half square triangles finish at 3"


Cut the 8 3/8" background square in half corner to corner.


Sew the 1.75" X 12" rectangle to either side of the two triangles. Press open.

So far so good. I will post Part 2 tomorrow. I have more fun vintage quilt block tutorials coming up for you this summer. I am having so much fun with this!

Pop on over to our shop and check out the bundles I have been listing. I have to admit I love filling orders and seeing where I am mailing them off to. A perk of the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment